Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The politics of what is possible

I've been thinking a lot lately about the politics of doing what you feel called to do, even in the absence of tangible support. I've been thinking about what it means to offer support to others. I've been thinking about my mentors... how they did it with what seemed such effortless grace. I feel clumsy, at best. Double standards, inconsistencies... they seem to be everywhere. I know this -- this shouldn't come as a surprise, but every time I confront them, it still does. I haven't been here long enough to know the whys and wherefores. Nor have I been here long enough to accept them without question.

I've also been thinking about what it means to navigate one's way in a evolving position. It is a blessing to be in a position that is in fact evolving. Sometimes, though, it feels a little like a curse. My mantra when the going gets tough, "I'm good at what I do." And I really do believe that, much of the time. I guess, though, I am finding that how I go about being good at what I do, and what that looks like from setting to the next, is very fluid -- ever changing.

I sat down at the computer with a little more vitriol than I have given voice. Discretion can not be discounted. But, I will say that I am leaving the computer somehow calmer, more collected. I'm still frustrated. I still want to trouble the waters a bit. But right now, at 9:50 pm, it's enough to realize I am tired, weary even. I have not had the best of days. And it's okay to crawl under the covers and try again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I started re-reading Plato's Republic. your dilema reminds me of it. if I can garner anything from either...and you allow me to ramble

    Engaging in the 'craft' for the sake of well completing the craft is a derirable means and end (the end should directly follow).
    a just person is found "working at that which he is naturally best suited"

    what is the nature of justice? Why would anyone do a just act for it's own sake? because justice is virtue (& virtue stems from knowledge).

    The simpleton's read - you do it because it is what it right and your make up (as you have some knowledge) allows you to do no other.

    It sometimes sucks.

    ReplyDelete