Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

A beautiful day today! Hardly a cloud at all in the sky, not terribly humid or uncomfortable... perfect for parades and picnics and fireflies and fireworks. I watched the parade in Dover from the front porch of the folks from whom I rent my apartment -- they own a bed and breakfast on the corner, just a block from where the parade stepped off. Lots of politicians, lots of car clubs... I would have liked to have seen another marching band or two -- there might have been one, maybe two. There were bag pipes. But the band nerd in me ached to see awkward highschool students sweltering in wool uniforms with feathered plumes sticking out of their hats. Band tee shirts and shorts would have been okay, too, I suppose. I never minded marching in parades. I kind of enjoyed it.

Then, fireworks on the Green. Dover is a bit of a culture shock from Chicago-land, even northeast Ohio. There is a sense of history, dating back to the beginning of American history. It's hard to explain beyond that, because I don't quite "get it" yet. Right now I'm just taking it all in, I suppose. The fireworks were quite impressive, set to greatest hits of the 80s. A huge tree obstructed my view a bit, but even through the veil of leaves, the star shower, so to speak, glimmered through. I was kind of disappointed, though, in the lack of "oohs" and "aahs." It seems to me that is part of the collective experience. Oh well.

I walked to the fireworks with my landlords and their family and friends. They get to spend a lot of time with their grandkids, and they have this cool double wagon for the two little ones -- a four year old girl and two year old boy. That's the life, I tell you. Pulled in a wagon outfitted with blankets and pillows while an entire entourage makes sure all is well. Not bad. Not bad at all. The little guy kept looking at me with a somewhat wary expression, something along the lines of "I don't know who you are, but... there you are." Yes, indeed. Here I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment