Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Looka Here Huck..."

One of my least favorite things to deal with happened today. I had just spoken with a pastor of a denomination other than my own. He was leading a tour of that denomination's history in the area and apparently the chapel at my institution was, once upon a time, one of "their" churches. He wondered if it would be possible for them to have access to the sanctuary, maybe take a look around. I was happy to oblige, said that I would meet them momentarily. Lots of young people in the tour group -- honestly, I think they were probably more excited about the air conditioning than anything else. It was sweltering today. Anyway, the group is on their way out the door, when one of their number thanked me for opening the door, and then handed a relligious tract, almost as though slipping me a tip. Which, I suppose, she genuinely felt she was doing. Solemnly informed me that it contained the instructions (or was it directions?) for getting in to heaven. Did I know how to get there? I thanked her politely, smiled, and told her I was working on it, or some such thing. "Oh but, do you know? If you have five minutes, I can tell you..." Second verse, same as the first -- this time with a little more feeling. Really, I'm fine. Thank you.

I understand that this form of witnessing is very important for some people. And I suppose I get that. On some level. But then again... I really wish people would spend a little more time and effort feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, clothing the naked than worrying about who is or isn't going to get into heaven. Not only that, but... I've spent a lot of time studying theology, learning about my religion, and actually the faith traditions of others as well. The implication that in five minutes time you can boil that all down is... kind of unbelievable to me. That's not quite what I am thinking, but it is what I am saying.

The upside? I've enjoyed having one of the songs from the musical BIG RIVER running through my head for much of the day: "Looka here Huck, do ya wanna go to heaven?" It's a great musical, based on Huck Finn. Great musical, fun song -- wonderful word play. Consider the phrase "do you want to go to heaven if you don't go to hell." And on that note, it's probably time to say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment